Wednesday, April 15, 2015

How to save money on makeup

I really enjoy watching Beauty Haul videos with my coffee. It's fun to see all the goodies people get, and often its a bit of a fantasy since most of us wouldn't spend that much. But when I watch the videos, I sometimes find the purchases a bit absurd. Granted if you had all the money in the world I understand trying everything, but for us on a budget, buying every eyeshadow pallet seems a bit much. So I thought I'd share some of my tricks for saving money on beauty products.



Shop at TJ Maxx and Marshalls
Now it might require a little digging, but the beauty sections at these stores always have insanely good deals. I recently purchased 5 lip sticks and 3 eyeliners by Kat Von D, a knock off beauty blender, and a 100 shade eyeshadow pallet all at discount. The items here are constantly changing, so going about every other week will keep you up to date on the latest. 



Get cheap eye shadows, but a good eye shadow base
My eye shadows are all E.L.F. brand, and I got it even cheaper at TJ Maxx because three colors were a bit wrong. But I have so many color options now! However, not all eye shadows are equal, and will give you great color pay off, so the trick is to get a great base. I use NYX white eyeshadow primer, and it makes every color, no matter how cheap, really stand out. If you're able to find a pallet with pretty much every color, you shouldn't feel like you're missing out too much by not buying the latest eye shadow pallets.



Decide on one or two splurge items for when you can get sample kits
Some things you just don't want to compromise on, for me it's under eye concealer. So I only buy name brand, BUT I only buy when theres an amazing deal going on at Ulta or Sephora. If you sign up for their emails, you'll be alerted to great samples. For example, recently if you spent $50 at Ulta, you got a huge kit of samples for free. So I bought my splurge items, and now I have a bunch of extra makeup. These sample kits often include small mascaras, and I seriously haven't had to buy one in years. I also got a beauty blender, eye shadow primer, and blush through sample kits, and those last you for a really long time.



Ask for skin care samples at Sephora
This is something I wouldn't advice doing too often, but I like to pick two lotions that sound good to me and get samples of them. On the off chance I'll make the splurge, this is a way to try and compare different products. But just those small samples can last you a really long time. I find lotion samples are best, since face wash can be basic and still get the job done. But I love getting samples of lotions by SK-II and Shiseido, since they're both a bit out of my price range.

Do your research before purchasing anything
If I get interested in a products, I'll watch review and demo videos, and check multiple sites for ratings. Sure it can be fun to buy products on a whim, but to spend that money and find out it was a waste is such a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment